Listen to podcast audio:
Losing a loved one unexpectedly to addiction or health issues can be a difficult trial to walk through. Matthew and Deanne Ward join Gary Wilkerson to share about losing their daughter to alcoholism and mental illness. They encourage us to hold onto the peace and hope that we have in Christ.
Key Points from the Podcast
- Matthew and Deanne Ward share about their daughter’s struggle with alcoholism and hormonally induced bipolar.
- When someone we love passes away unexpectedly, we can sometimes wonder if we did something wrong or could have done something more to prevent their untimely death.
- Not everyone handles difficult situations, like an addicted family member or the death of a loved one, in the same way. We must allow others the freedom, and trust their spiritual maturity, to handle circumstances the way that they feel God is directing them.
- Even when life doesn’t make sense, we need to make the choice to trust God.
- We cannot shame other Christians into thinking that taking medication is a lack of faith.
- When people who are going through difficulties come to you, they aren’t always looking for an answer, but a sympathetic ear.
- God is not only the God of the past and the future, but he’s the God of the right now.
- If you have been through difficult circumstances, avail yourself to others who may be going through something similar. Do not hide. Share your story. It could be the hope and encouragement they need.
Bible Verses Referenced in the Podcast
1 Corinthians 13:12; John 6:8; 1 Corinthians 13: 4–8; Romans 10:13; Acts 2:21
Resources Mentioned in the Podcast
Other episodes with Matthew and Deanne Ward:
About Matthew Ward
Matthew Ward was one of the voices that helped create the sound of contemporary Christian music. He started as part of the 70s group, 2nd Chapter of Acts, which is credited with changing the sound of Christian music. Matthew is a singer, songwriter, and producer. He has released 9 solo albums, and 15 albums as part of the 2nd Chapter of Acts. He has recorded or performed with more than 50 contemporary Christian artists. As well as singing a duet with pop-diva Donna Summer and background vocals on other songs including the No. 1 hit She Works Hard for the Money.
About Deanne Ward
Deanne Ward is CEO of Ward Consulting and has worked for more than 30 years in collaborative partnerships with non-profits. She has served on a number of boards, including Caring Hands, Friendship International, Mission Outfitter, and Kids Crossing. Deanne’s passion is to impact the lives of others for the cause of Christ. She has traveled to more than 50 countries with this purpose. She has worked with various churches, ministries, and non-profits, establishing and cultivating leadership teams. Some include, Colorado Springs Mission, David C. Cook, World Challenge, Habitat for Humanity, Family Talk, Navigators, and New Life Church. Deanne currently resides in Colorado Springs with her singer/songwriter husband, Matthew Ward.
About Gary Wilkerson
Gary Wilkerson is the President of World Challenge, an international mission organization that was founded by his father, David Wilkerson. He is also the Founding Pastor of The Springs Church, which he launched in 2009 with a handful of people. He has traveled nationally and internationally at conferences and conducted mission ventures such as church planting, starting orphanages, clinics, feeding programs among the poorest of the poor and the most unreached people of the earth. Gary and his wife Kelly have four children and live in Colorado Springs, CO.